Thursday, September 01, 2005

I See It...the Light....It's So Near....

Ah....life, I tell you. Keeps handing you assignment after assignment. The FYP was submitted last week, that left 4 more. One of those is done, leaving three more. Of those three, one is due tomorrow, one is due Friday, and the last one is due Monday. What a nice sequence of due dates. It'a almost like a symphony.

As far as I'm concerned, Friday I'm free! THe project due Monday is the easiest fortunately, and will be completed by Saturday latest. That leaves the very important question - what to do Friday night?!?

All I know is this: I WILL NOT BE AT HOME!!!

Honestly, after three and a half virtually non-stop years of higher education, I am so looking forward to finishing off my time in APIIT. The longest break in my time in APIIT was 5 weeks, so the whole duration of doing my diploma and degree is just a blur of academic experiences. Mostly stressful ones. Every semester there is this one or two week period where everything comes to a head and you feel stressed as hell. I'm at the end of the final semesterly stressful period right now. In fact I can't think of anything interesting to write.

In a month from now, exams will be done and I will just have to await graduation on December the 4th. I am contemplating whether to take a break first or start job-hunting immediately. There is also the issue of whether to go back to Penang or remain in KL for a while. Personally, I'd like to remain in KL for a while first. Heheh, this reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad a couple of months back. This took place in a relative's place during a family gathering. He had had a few margaritas when this took place.

Dad: Sooon!
Me: Wassap?
Dad: It's time to talk about your future...

At this point I was thinking "Die la! He wants to marry me off!!!".

Me: What about my future?
Dad: Give me your resume, I'll look for jobs for you in Penang. I have some contacts. (Proceeds to tell some long-winded story about someone who owed a favour).
Me: Dad, we gotta talk.
Dad: Sure.
Me: I've got plans for my own future. Before you start planning my life, let me tell you what I think and what I want to do.
Dad: OK. Go ahead.
Me: I'd like to work in KL for a couple of years before returning to Penang.(Dad starts to look a bit unhappy). Let me tell you why.
Dad: Ok, ok...go on.
Me: If I work back in Penang, what will I be doing every weekend?
Dad: Uhhmm....you'll be out in the same SS and Soho's...
Me: Yes, with the same people at the same places.
Dad: Uh-huh...
Me: All of whom are guys...whenever I come back to Penang we never go out with girls...it's the same group of guys all the time.
Dad: Yes...
Me: In KL there is much more opportunity to meet and get to know girls. In Penang I will be single until you arrange a marriage for me.
Dad: (enthusiastically) Ok, ok...I see your point...I'm glad you told me this.

Heheh, my dad is a bit traditional when it comes to these things. With this excuse, there was never any chance of getting "no" for an answer. In fact, I was surprised he took it so well!Anyhow, this is a true fact! There are hardly any girls in Penang. So that was it, issue settled, no probs! In fact I was surprised my dad took it so well.

At the core of the issue, although I love Penang more than KL and would love to spend the rest of my life there, as a young person I would like to be in KL for a while first. Penang is limited, even as a person who goes back once every couple of months or so I see the same faces and go to the same places all the time. KL has much more variety, more excitement. Most importantly, more opportunity and options for work and social life. Besides that, practically all my friends from back home have left. There's hardly anyone left there from my life in Penang. Here in KL, I've got loads of friends nad have become used to a routine and lifestyle. Not that I don't have that in Penang - whenever I'm back i feel like I never left - but it's the small things you know...like even the people I used to play football with have stopped playing. No more football on the old "tanah merah" field like the good old days. The scene has changed a lot.

Man, I sound old. I'm growing up.

By the way, Happy Merdeka to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home