Saturday, July 02, 2005

War of the cinema halls.

Went to watch "War of the Worlds" 2 days ago.

The movie itself (spoiler warning: skip the next few paragraphs if you haven't watched it yet) wasn't too bad. The beginning was fantastic and really kept me engrossed. In fact most of the movie was great. The end though was akin to getting into bed with the girl of your dreams and then finding out the truth behind that husky voice and long legs.

After a great build up and follow through, the end just really "potong stim" la. I ( and most people) left the cinema thinking "What the f**k?".

They died by disease. Surely after millions of years of planning and surveying, they would have thought about that risk? Didn't they get any diseases when they came here to plant the damn machines in the ground?

That brings me to another question. Why didn't they just take over the earth when they came here millions of years ago in the first place? Heck of a lot less trouble it would have been, without us humans in the way. Perhaps they just wanted some glamour la.

Anyways, I know the story is based on H.G. Wells book, which I haven't read, so Spielberg can't be blamed if the storyline is unchanged from the book. If that's the case, I think he's created a great movie. Definitely worth your admission price.

So much for my review.

On to the real issue.

Can't we watch movies in peace anymore? Throughout the course of the movie (and others), I encountered:

1. The sound of a tamil movie from the hall next door eminating from somewhere in the back. What the heck?! These halls are supposed to be soundproof! You have no idea how irritating it is when you're totally engrossed in the first emergence of the aliens when suddenly the sounds of a Tamil song bursts rapturously into your ears!

No disrespect to Tamil movies y'all. It ain't their fault.

2. Idiots, idiots, idiots who are just too dumb, stupid and ignorant to get that the Nokia public service announcement before the movie IS THERE FOR A REASON!

At least twice the dude in front of me let his phone ring, yes RING, before nonchalantly answering it and proceeded to blab away. How can people be so stupid as to do that?

Another "no disrespect" announcement here. This time to all my Chinese friends out there.

Whenever some idiot lets his phone ring and follows it up with a conversation like his bapak owns the cinema, it's always some "Ah Beng" or "Ah Lian" type. Why? Why so kiasu until like that? I have a lot of Chinese friends, I'm not trying to be a racist here. Fine, you need your calls, they're important for some reason, okay. Put your phone on silent/vibrate mode. What's so difficult about that?

Speaking of silent mode, here's my next grouse. The one that angers me the most.

3. People who go to the movies and leave your phone on. Fine. If you're a doctor, a politician, someone on call or anything along those lines. Leave your phone on silent and answer your calls. Outside the cinema. Where no one can hear you.

The rest of us, for which there is no urgent need for the phone to be left on, should just switch it off. Why? So you can watch your movie in peace, that's why. You can't talk anyway, so what's the point?

Key words here: YOU CAN'T TALK ANYWAY

It's so utterly stupid and pointless to answer your phone, whisper in a loud, hoarse voice, "Movie! I'm in a movie. WATCHING MOVIE LAAAA!!!! Ok, ok. Bye."

And this happens far too often. I'll say it again. IT IS POINTLESS!

You're wasting your time. You're wasting the other person's time. And you're annoying the heck out of normal cinema-goers like yours truly.

4. People bringing babies to non-kiddie movies. Obi-Wan and Anakin are about the engage in the battle that will determine the fate of the galaxy's future.

Cue baby's cry.

I love kids. I really do. But people need to understand that kid's don't belong in certain movies. They just can't take it. They get restless and edgy, and mayhem ensues. Leave the baby with a sitter or relative, and come watch your movie. Otherwise get the VCD/DVD.

5. Banglas and the occasianal Indons in cinemas. Nuff' said.

Honorable mention goes to cinema screw-ups. I have encountered movies where the picture alignment was off, where there was no sound at all, where there was fantastic THX sound but without the channel that contains the voices of the characters, where the lights were on for 10 minutes after the movie started, and where one of the main speakers being broken, thus eminating a resplendant "krrcch krcch" sound throughout the movie.

That concludes my cinematic complaints. I long for the day when I actually watch a movie without some kind of crap going on. The last time that happened was back in the day was the only sound you could hear around you was the munching of "kuaci".

I think I've broken my "caps" record for a post.

1 Comments:

Blogger eldiablocorneo said...

yea pr1ncz, the phone thing irritates the hell outta me. i also promise to comment more often on your blog yea!

7:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home